Whether you are recovering from a sports injury, following surgery or after a fall, Flex physiotherapists can tailor a rehabilitation program specific to your needs. Our open gym space with Pilates, Altitude Training room and conditioning equipment allows for a unique training experience to help you get back to your active lifestyle.
Based on the original work of Joseph Pilates and further developed by physiotherapists, Clinical Pilates is a low impact, dynamic method of exercise focusing on breathing, control and core stability.
Regular Pilates exercise has been shown to:
- improve core stability
- improve balance
- improve sport performance
- lessen back pain and enhance a stronger, more flexible spine
- increase overall tone, endurance and fitness
- assist with relaxation and breathing efficiency
- improve concentration, coordination and posture
- provide rehabilitation and prevention from injury
- aid in the recovery of muscles following pregnancy assist in developing flatter and firmer abdominal muscles
To begin, an initial one-on-one assessment is required which may include real time ultrasound imaging of the deep trunk muscles. This assessment allows us to tailor a very specific and individualised program, specific to your needs.
Led only by trained, experienced physiotherapists, our Pilates classes are small and personalised to ensure individual attention during each session. Individual sessions are also available. Class duration is 45 minutes. Bookings are essential.
Classes are generally covered by private health insurance. Pilates is suitable for people of all ages, fitness levels and body types.
Mums and Bumps Pilates
Pre and Post Natal Pilates are small group, physiotherapist supervised classes performed on a range of equipment including the reformer, trapeze table, Swiss ball and weighted pulley systems.
Physiotherapist led Pilates exercises are a safe and fun way to improve your posture and strengthen your abdominal, back and pelvic muscles. Pilates during Pregnancy can also help to relieve and prevent back and pelvic pain, improve fitness and prepare your body for childbirth.
Before you commence classes, a Physiotherapy consult is required to ensure you contract your muscles correctly and that your program is tailored and safe for your individual needs. Please note, babies are welcome to attend!
Dance Medicine Pilates
Pilates offers a unique opportunity for dancers to improve their core, alignment and technique whilst strengthening muscles used specifically by dancers.
Depending upon your needs, we offer a variety of class structures:
- Individualised programs designed to address your individual needs. Dancers will need to undertake a dance assessment in order for a program to be specifically designed.
- Pre-Pointe and Pointe classes for dancers aiming to improve the strength in their core and legs specifically for pointe work
- Turnout classes for dancers aiming to improve the strength and control around their hips and spine.
Fab 50s +
Fab 50s + are small, personalised fitness classes where participants over 50s engage in exercise under the supervision of Flex Physiotherapists.
- Muscle strength can be regained and maintained no matter what age and physical condition
- Supervised exercise is not just for the ‘young people’ and it is not a high risk activity for the over 50s
- Small classes of up to 5 people
- Accessible and safe environment at Flex Rehabilitation Clinic Norwood
- Individualized programs based on participants ability and goals
- Strength training with resistance bands, free weights and pulley weights to assist with activities of daily living
- Low to moderate aerobic training on treadmill, stationary bike and rowing machine
- Balance and falls prevention Stretching to maintain range of motion throughout the body
Research has shown that regular exercise can decrease and manage the effects of chronic conditions such as Arthritis, Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis, Depression and Heart Disease.
It has also been shown to:
- Enhance well-being, raise self-esteem and self confidence
- Decrease blood pressure and improve cholesterol
- Improve body composition and manage weight
- Improve sleep
- Reduce lower back pain
- Improve balance and reduce the risk of falling
- Improve joint range of motion Enhance ability to undertake activities of daily living and maintain an independent lifestyl